Sinus Node Modification in the Treatment of Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia: A Clinical Update
- 1 July 10
- Posted on: 6/29/10
- 0 Comments
- 19927 reads
Use of the EnSite technology allowed real-time 3D mapping and precise localization of the areas of earliest activation, and safe radiofrequency ablation of three distinct areas without damage to the overall pacemaker function of the sinus node. In this case, the three distinct areas of early activation provided clarity in the diagnosis that was previously felt to be atrial tachycardia. Though current published case series lack long-term outcomes, it appears that use of the EnSite contact map and EnSite Array catheter to guide radiofrequency ablation of sites of earliest activation may simplify sinus node modification and possibly lead to more durable long-term outcomes in the treatment of IST.
1. Marrouche NF, Beheiry S, Tomassoni G, et al. Three-dimensional nonfluoroscopic mapping and ablation of inappropriate sinus tachycar- dia. Procedural strategies and long-term out- comes. J Am Coll Cardiol 2002;39:1046-1054.
2. Shen WK. How to manage patients with inap- propriate sinus tachycardia. Heart Rhythm 2005;2;1015-1019.
3. Chiale PA, Garro HA, Schmidberg J, et al. Inappropriate sinus tachycardia may be related to an immunologic disorder involving cardiac beta andrenergic receptors. Heart Rhythm 2006;3;1182-1186.
4. Still AM, Raatikainen P, Ylitalo A, et al. Prevalence, characteristics and natural course of inappropriate sinus tachycardia. Europace 2005;7;104-112.
5. Lee RJ, Kalman JM, Fitzpatrick AP, et al. Radiofrequency catheter modification of the sinus node for "inappropriate" sinus tachycar- dia. Circulation 1995;92;2919-2928.
6. Man KC, Knight B, Tse HF, et al. Radiofrequency catheter ablation of inappro- priate sinus tachycardia guided by activation mapping. J Am Coll Cardiol 2000;35:451-457.
7. Lin D, Garcia F, Jacobson J, et al. Use of non- contact mapping and saline-cooled ablation catheter for sinus node modification in med- ical refractory inappropriate sinus tachycardia. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 2007;30;236-242.
8. Krahn AD, Yee R, Klein GJ, Morillo C. Inappropriate sinus tachycardia: Evaluation and therapy. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 1995;6;1124-1128.
9. Bonhomme CE, Deger FT, Schultz J, Hsu SS. Radiofrequency catheter ablation using non- contact mapping for inappropriate sinus tachycardia. J Interv Card Electrophysiol 2004;10;159-163.
10.Waspe LE, Chien WW, Merillat JC, Stark S. Sinus node modification using radiofrequency current in a patient with persistent inappropriate sinus tachycardia. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 1994;17;1569-1576.
11. Leonelli F, Richey M, Beheiry S, et al. Tridimensional mapping: Guided modification of the sinus node. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 1998;9;1214-1217.
12. Morillo CA, Klein GJ, Thakur RK, et al. Mechanism of 'inappropriate' sinus tachycardia. Role of sympathovagal balance. Circulation 1994;90;873-877.